Category: Exotic Rice Preparations
Description: This is a nice variation of the traditional Venn Pongal.
Preparation Time: 20 mins
- Rice – 1 ½ cups (You can use half brown and half white rice or all white rice)
- Red Gram dal(toor dal) – ½ cup
- Grated carrot – 1 cup
- Coconut milk – 1 cup
- Black pepper & jeera(Cumin) powder(coarsely ground) – 1 tablespoon
- Turmeric powder – ¼ teaspoon
- Salt – to taste
- Cashewnut – 15
- Ghee – 6 tablespoons
- Curry leaves – few sprigs
- Jeera ¼ teaspoon (for seasoning)(also known as Cumin)
- Boiled fresh peas – 2 tablespoons
- Tomatoes – 1 big
Grated coconut – 3 tablespoons
Ginger – 1” piece
Green chilies – 5
Grind the above ingredients to a paste.
1.Heat one tablespoon of ghee in a pan and sauté the grated carrot for few minutes. Remove from the fire and keep aside.
2.Wash the rice and dal in a vessel, add 1 cup of coconut milk, 3 cups of water,the sauted carrot,1/2 teaspoon of asafoetida powder and pressure cook as you cook rice either in a pressure cooker or Instant Pot.
3.Heat 3 tablespoons of ghee in a pan, add jeera and cashew nut and when the cashew turns golden brown, add curry leaves, ginger-chilli paste, cut tomatoes and fry on slow flame for few minutes.
4. Add boiled peas,turmeric powder,pepper-jeera powder,salt and the cooked rice and mix gently.
5.Add the remaining ghee, cover and leave it on the fire for few minutes and remove.
6.Serve hot with coconut chutney or a simple tomato rasam(shown in the picture).