Category: Assorted Curries
Description:A tasty vegetable curry in yogurt gravy
Preparation Time: 25 mins
- INGREDIENTS: MAIN:
- Chayote Squash – 2 (cut in small cubes)
- Toor Dhal – 3 tablespoons
- Red Chilies – 4
- Fenugreek(Methi) Seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Coconut Oil – 2 tablespoons
- Fresh grated coconut – 6 tablespoons
- Sour Curd – 1/2 cup
- Mustard seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Curry Leaves – 1 sprig
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Salt to taste
- Peel the skin of the Chayote Squash and cut them into small cubes.
- Grind the fresh grated coconut with a little water into a smooth paste.
- Heat oil in the pan and add the Fenugreek seeds and when it becomes almost dark brown add the toor dhal, and the red chilies.
- When the dhal turns golden brown switch of the heat and transfer it onto a plate. Let the mixture cool and then grind it to a fine powder and keep aside.
- Cook the cubed Chayote Squash in just enough water.
- When it is about 3/4 ways cooked add 4 teaspoons of the ground powder, salt and turmeric powder. Let it simmer on a slow flame for about 4-5 minutes.
Now add the ground coconut and curd and mix gently and allow it to simmer for about 3-4 minutes.
- Remove from the fire and keep aside.
- Add seasoning by heating the mustard seeds in 1 tablespoon of coconut oil and when they splutter add the curry leaves.
- Add this to the cooked dish and mix gently.
- This can be eaten with chapatis or rice.
You can add more of the ground spice powder if you like it a bit spicier. If you have extra label with the date and store it in the freezer to use for another time.