Category: Delicious Chutneys
Description:A nice vegetable and dhal chutney that can be eaten with rice
Preparation Time: 15 mins
- INGREDIENTS: MAIN:
- 1/2 cup fresh & tender Chayote Squash peels
- Uradh Dhal 3 tablespoons
- Red Chilies – 4
- Asafoetida – 1 small piece or 1/2 teaspoon
- Mustard Seeds – 1/4 teaspoon
- Tamarind paste/puree – 1 tablespoon
- Cooking Oil – 2 tablespoons
- Fresh grated coconut – 2 tablespoons
- Salt to taste
- Peel the skin of the Chayote Squash and give it a good wash.
- Heat oil in the pan and add the Asafoetida and when it becomes almost black add the mustard seeds, when it crackles add the Uradh dhal, and the red chilies.
- When the dhal turns golden brown switch of the heat and transfer it onto a plate.
- In the hot pan toss the chayote squash peels and saute for for a quick 5 seconds making sure it retains the green color.
- When it is cool add the sauteed peels, the dhal mixture,tamarind,coconut and salt and grind to a coarse consistency..
It is best eaten with hot rice and a little dollop of ghee.
The mint leaves above can be substituted with mint leaves,coriander leaves, tender cabbage, ridge gourd, and roasted eggplant.