Category: Assorted Curries
Description: This simple, flavorful, nutritious dish is made with drumstick leaves also known as Moringa Leaves.
Preparation Time: 15 mins
- Fresh Moringa leaves– 3-4 big bunches
- Grated Coconut – 2 tablespoons
- Salt – To taste
- Turmeric Powder – ½ teaspoon
- Jaggery or Coconut Sugar– 1 teaspoon
- Cooked Tuvar Dhal (Red gram or Pigeon Pea) – 1/4 cup
- Curry Leaves – a few sprigs
- Coconut Oil – 1 tblsp
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Red Chili – 2 (break them in half before adding)
- Black Gram Dhal – 1 tblsp
- Asafoetida Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Strip the Moringa leaves from the stem, ( going from the bottom of the stem towards the top is easier) wash and keep in a colander.
- Heat one tablespoon of the coconut oil, add Asafoetida powder and mustard seeds. When the mustard seeds splutter add the curry leaves, red chili and black gram dhal.
- Saute for a few minutes till the the dhal turns golden brown.
- Add the washed Moringa leaves, salt, turmeric powder , jaggery powder and mix well.
- Sprinkle about 2-3 tblsp of water and cover and cook on a slow flame for 5-7 minutes.
- The leaves are very tender and will cook fairly quickly. Add the cooked dhal and mix gently.
- Leave on the stove top for about 1 minute and then turn it off.
- Add the fresh coconut just before serving and mix gently.
- This can be eaten just by itself or with hot rice or chapatis.