Category: Powders used in Cooking
Description: Sambhar powder which can also be used in a variety of other dishes
Preparation Time: 20 mins
Coriander seeds – 1 cup (250ml cup)
Bengalgram dal – ½ cup
Fresh redchilli powder – ½ cup
Methi seeds – 2 tablespoons
Asafoetida(broken into small pieces)- 1 big piece
Curry leaves – few
Turmeric powder – 1tablespoon (level)
Gingelly ( til) oil – 2 tablespoon
1.Dry roast the coriander seeds in a frying pan on slow flame till the seeds are little more than warm to the touch.
2. Spread on a sheet of paper to cool.
3. Roast the bengalgramdal in the same manner till it becomes rich brown in colour and spread it on the same sheet of paper.
4. Heat one tablespoon of oil in a pan, add asafoetida first and when it becomes almost black in color,add methi seeds and when it turns rich brown add the curry leaves.
5. Drain the oil out and transfer the contents from the pan.
6. Heat a tablespoon of oil in the same pan and when it is hot remove it from the fire and add the chilli powder and turmeric powder and saute briskly.
7. Add the fried asafoetida,methi seeds,roasted coriander seeds and bengalgram dal to this and mix thoroughly.
8. Cool this mixture and powder finely in the mixie.
This can be stored in an air tight container for about 6 months and as long as a year in the freezer.