Category: Rice Varieties
Description: This is a bold and flavorful rice dish that has vegetables and warm spices
Preparation Time: 30 mins
- Vegetables(an combination of Cauliflower,Carrot,Beans,Potato & Peas) – 2 cups
- Basmathi rice – 1 cup (uncooked)
- Water – 2 1/4 cup
- Ginger – 1″ Piece
- Green Chilies – 5 ( lesser if you prefer a mild taste)
- Raw cashews – 10 ( can be substituted with 2 tblsp of fresh coconut)
- Tomato – 2 medium (chopped fine)
- Onion – 2 big (slice thinly)
- Garam Masala Powder – 1 tblsp
- Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Coriander leaves – a small handful
- Mint leaves – a small handful
- Cashews – 15
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Bay Leaves – 2-3
- Salt – to taste
- Ghee – 1 tblsp ( or any other preferred cooking oil)
- Wash the Basmathi rice and keep in a colander.
- Wash, cut and steam the vegetables adding a little bit of salt. The veggies should be al dente ( crisp but not too soft)
- Heat the ghee in a Rressure cooker or Instant Pot and fry the sliced onion and cashews. Remove and keep aside. This will be used for garnishing later.
- In the same pot add the cumin seeds, bay leaves, green chili, grated ginger and saute for a few minutes.
- Add 2 tablespoons of the fried onions, chopped tomato, finely cut coriander and mint leaves and fry for a few more minutes.
- Add the steamed vegetables saute for a minute and add the water. When it starts boiling add salt, turmeric powder, garam masala powder and the washed basmathi rice.
- If using a pressure cooker close the lid and cook for 7 minutes without putting the weight. After 7 minutes turn off the stove and let it sit for 10 minutes.
- If using an Instant Pot close the lid of the IP and go to Steam Mode and let it steam for 5 minutes. After that time unplug the IP and let it rest for about 8-10 minutes.
- Open the pressure cooker or IP and mix gently with a ladle or a big fork. Check for salt and add if more is needed
- Transfer to a serving dish and garnish with the fried onion, cashewnuts and lemon wedges.
- This is best enjoyed with Raitha and pickle.