Category: Sweet Treats
Description: A sweet dish made with milk and beaten rice also called avval or avvalakki or Poha.
Preparation Time: 20 mins
- Aval(Beaten Rice-thin variety) – 2 cup (Red Aval has a slightly nuttier taste compared to the White Aval. You can use either)
- Sugar – 1 cup (can use cane sugar or coconut sugar)
- Water – 2cups
- Cashewnuts – 2 tablespoon(broken)
- Raisans – 20
- Cardamom powder – ½ teaspoon
- Saffron(soaked in little milk) – few strands
- Orange food color – ½ teaspoon
- Ghee – 4 tablespoons
1.Dry roast the Aval in a pan for a few minutes till they turn light brown. Add a teaspoon of ghee and mix thoroughly. Remove and cool.
2.Crush the cooled Aval by hand to tiny bits.
3.Bring 2 cups of water to a boil and add the crushed Aval and cook till soft.
4.Once the Aval is soft add the sugar and orange food color and keep stirring taking care not to form any lumps. This step is very important.
5.Add the ghee one tablespoon at a time and keep stirring till it leaves the sides of the pan.
6.Remove from the fire and add cashew nuts,raisins fried in ghee,cardamom powder and the saffron strands.