Category: Rice Varieties
Description: A nice flavored rice with Lady Finger(Okra,Bhindi)
Preparation Time: 20 mins
Raw rice – 1 cup
Bhindi (lady’s finger) – 150gm
Onion -1 big size
Tomato pulp -1/2 cup
Thick tamarind pulp – 2 tablespoons
Grated coconut – 4 tablespoons
Redchilli powder – 1 teaspoon
Jeera powder – 1/2 teaspoon
Turmeric powder – 1/4 teaspoon
Cashewnuts (broken) -2 tablespoons
Mustard seeds – 1 teaspoon
Bay Leaves – 2
Ghee – 2 tablespoons
Cooking oil – 5-6 tablespoons
Salt – to taste
Coriander Seeds – 3 tablespoons
Bengalgram Dhal – 2 tablespoons
Fenugreek seeds – 1 teaspoon
Red Chillis – 8 Medium size ones
Asafoetida – 1 piece
Grated Coconut – 3 tablespoons
Curry leaves – few leaves
Heat 2 tablespoons of oil and add the asafoetida.When it becomes brown add the fenugreek seeds and when it becomes rich brown and starts to splutter add all the other ingredients except grated coconut and fry till the bengalgram dhal is golden brown.
Remove, cool and add the grated coconut and grind to a smooth paste.
Pressure Cook the rice taking care that the grains are separated.
1. Wash and wipe the bhindis and cut into one inch long pieces.
2. Heat oil, add 1 teaspoon salt and fry the pieces in one batch to a brown colour, drain, remove and keep aside.
3. In the same pan (with the oil left over) add the ghee and season with mustard seeds, cashew nuts and bay leaves.
4.When the nuts are golden brown add greated onion, tomato pulp, tamarind pulp and fry for 2 minutes.
5.Add RedChilli,Jeera and Turmeric powder and fry till it leaves the sides of the pan.
6. Add the rice, salt, grated coconut and mix gently.
7. Cover and keep on slow flame for 8-10 minutes stirring occasionally.
8. Remove the contents in a serving dish, garnish with coriander leaves and serve with any raita and pappad.